Extra Credit in BSC 1010-LAB
The Center for Academic Success (CfAS) offers workshops in research, reading, and reporting via your biology lab assignments. These workshops are designed to make you better readers and writers as the volume of research and reporting increases throughout the semester. They are structured for small groups of students to facilitate in-depth application of these strategies. Individual sessions are available for students who would like one-to-one feedback. Registration is available online or in person at the CfAS. Also remember that these services are free of charge, and are created to make you better students. Below are the guidelines for the extra credit in the General Biology I Laboratory courses.
- Be prepared. Bring your lab manual, syllabus, and any pertinent materials related to your class. Any forms of research material are extremely helpful.
- Be on time. Sessions are one hour in length. While workshops consist of 12 students, our tutors need all of this time in order to provide each participant with the necessary attention and detail to his/her progress.
- Be consistent. In order to receive the extra credit points, you must complete all five sessions throughout the semester. This is an opportunity for you to earn more points for your lab report. Sessions cannot be skipped, missed, or partially completed.
- Be receptive. You will receive a variety of strategies, organizers, handouts, and study rubrics throughout these sessions. Not all of them may apply to BSC 1010L, but they may be useful in another course. Keep these in your ‘metacognitive bank’ and ask your tutor questions.
- Be responsible. Once you register for a workshop at our Center you are reserving a place that no other student can take. Be considerate with these workshops. Keep your Panther ID handy when you arrive to the CfAS. You must enter your information at the front area of our Center, and make sure that your tutor records your attendance. At the end of the semester these records will be submitted to Jose Alberte, the coordinator of all the lab courses.
- Workshops are available at both our MMC and BBC campuses. The Center for Academic Success, MMC is located in the Green Library, room 120 (next to the Starbucks). The Center for Academic Success, BBC is located in Academic One, room 160.
- Workshops are available at various times throughout the week, excluding weekends. The Center has extended hours for evening workshops.
- Visit our website: http://learningcenter.fiu.edu to view the workshop schedule and to register for a time and day most convenient for you.
- Once you register for a series of workshops, you are expected to attend the same day of the week at the same time for five weeks. If you cannot commit to all five workshops the first half of a semester, then there will be another series available for you (called Set Two) the latter half of the semester.
- You will not be able to mix and match workshops from Set One and Set Two. If you register for a series in Set One (September – October), then commit to all of them. If you register for a series in Set Two (October – November), then commit to all of them.
- Session 1: Research for Biology & APA Citation
- Session 2: Reading and Annotating Text
- Session 3: Paraphrasing and Summarizing
- Session 4: Economy of Writing
- Session 5: Mechanics of Writing: Grammar & Punctuation
3 Easy steps to Registering
- Click here to REGISTER.
- On the registration page, select the SET you want or have been assigned.
- Fill in all personal information, then select the section which suits you best.