How does tutoring work?
The Center for Academic Success (CfAS) in Academic and Career Success (ACS) houses the University Learning Center and the University Testing Center. Located at both MMC and BBC, the Center facilitates the academic advancement of students by providing support in an environment that is conducive to teaching and learning. Students can access tutoring in a variety of subject areas, as well as participate in programs that develop their critical thinking and study skills. With a comprehensive approach, services are delivered in person or online via modalities such as one-on-one, small groups, study halls, or workshops.
The CfAS interacts with undergraduate students at all levels throughout their academic experience; from preparing students before admission to assisting them along the pathway toward graduation. The Center fosters constructive relationships between students and tutors and incorporates high and low-tech tools to enhance learning, improve retention, and promote academic excellence.
Policies & Procedures
- Tutoring can be done by scheduling an appointment, by walk-ins or by study halls.
- Students can schedule one pending appointment at a time.
- The waitlist for walk-ins begins one hour before the tutor arrives for his/her shift.
- Students can attend two tutoring sessions per day per subject.
- Sessions in mathematics, statistics, and science are 50 minutes in length and begin on the hour.
- Sessions in Reading & Learning are 60 minutes in length and begin on the hour.
- A valid FIU Panther ID number is required to use the FIU Learning Center services.
- Late arrivals, 10 minutes or more, may need to be rescheduled.
- No food or drinks allowed in the tutoring areas.