Academic Success Plans (ASPs) exist for students who are interested in improving their academic performance in one or more areas. The original program was designed as an Academic Improvement Plan (AIP), and was intended to help exploratory students who found themselves on academic warning or probation. Since 2012, the program has expanded to help students from various colleges
Florida International University (FIU) is currently the fifth largest higher education institution in the country. Amidst a growing student population and an aggressive expansion in curriculum, a student can feel overwhelmed by the demands of such a competitive university. A student can also experience an array of academic and lifestyle transitions during his/her first year of college. Many FIU students have to work in order to afford the expenses of an undergraduate program. Others become actively engaged in FIU’s social culture. Although each student’s college experience is different, they must all balance their lives with their academics.
The Center for Academic Success (CfAS) and many collaborating departments have come together to create a holistic program for students who have concerns with balancing their academic performance with their life responsibilities. Each program is individual to the student, which is how small learning communities can be created at such a large institution like FIU.
The ASP is comprised of the following:
- An orientation/reflection session where students have an opportunity to look back and discuss their academic performance from previous semesters.
- Diagnostic sessions in reading and mathematics to determine any areas of weakness in fundamental academic skills
- Workshops on study skills, time management, research, and other areas dedicated to improve overall academic success.
- Subject-specific tutoring programs
- Individualized communication between the students, tutors, professors, and advisors
If you are interested in activating an Academic Success Plan, feel free to contact the director of the learning center, Mrs. Vicenta Shepard, (305) 348-2972 or email@example.com